There are a lot of things to like about the Google’s Gmail service. This service is free and is very easy to us as a central repository for multiple email accounts. One of the most important features exclusively found on this service alone is the labels system. Labels are more or less the same as folders used on other systems and they give you a chance to presort or prearrange incoming email messages. This is a very vital Gmail tool especially for those people who have crowded inboxes and would like to have a clean and organized inbox that will help them to keep a clear track of all their email messages. These labels are listed in a column on the left side of your Gmail inbox, below the links for Inbox, Drafts, Trash and Spam folders. There are a few sequential steps to guide you in putting the power of labels to work for your inbox assortment:
- Step 1: Click on the ‘settings’ icon at the top right corner of your Gmail page. In the ‘settings’ menu, select labels at the top of the page and then scroll down until you reach an option that says “ Create a new label“. Click on this box and then type in your own suitable name for one of your labels. You can repeat this step to create as many labels as you may like to have.
These are illustrated below;
- Step 2: Label the email messages in your inbox and sent mail pages. For example, if you have a label called “Assignments“, you can go through your inbox and sent mails and select all the messages that you would like to put under this label. With all these messages selected, click on the move icon at the top of your Gmail home page. On the drop down menu provided, choose on the assignments option to move all these messages to that label. If a message comes in at that particular point, you can simply label it and read it from the same menu button instead of going back to your inbox page to do so.
- Step 3: Organize your labels using the “Manage labels “ option locate on the left side under the drop down menu for “More“ beneath the Inbox, Sent, Drafts and Circles page menu. The type of arrangement for your labels will automatically take the alphabetical order. With this option, you can also choose which label icons you would like to show and which you would like to hide.
- Step 4: This is an optional step. It simply involves beautifying your labels by giving them custom colors. You can do this by simply clicking on the box next to the label’s text and a drop down menu will appear from where you can select the color that you like and prefer for each of your labels.
- Step 5: Put your labels into use. Click on one of your created labels for example “Assignments“ from the left hand menu and your mail screen will automatically filter out and show all the selected messages that you categorized under the “Assignments“ label. With all this done, you can, trace any of your mails at your own convenient time by simply typing their label category name in the “search mail“ bar at the top of your screen. You can then easily locate them from the provided label list.
Finally, do not worry about missing out on some of your email messages. Visual clues or parentheses will be provided besides your labels to show you the number, time and whether you have any emails that are unread or have just arrived.